It looks like a sweater! (Awful picture, I know… It's another iPod, low-light, no editing picture.)
I plan on sewing some backing onto it to make it more dust proof. Although it ended up a tad too wide and a smidge too short, it'll do. To weave the final few inches, I had to pull some of the weft yarn out of an old sampler project I made a few years ago. Whew! I thought I was going to have to buy another huge skein of the Red Heart acrylic, when my goal was to use up what I already had.
I am playing around with four shafts on the Louet W30 loom. Believe it or not, the yarn is the old Red Heart acrylic I kept meaning to put in a giveaway box. I finally decided to use it up. I “think” this is a twill, but it reverses the patten. It’s on page 71 of The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon.
I’m so pleased with the Schacht Inkle Loom I found in a thrift store this week. Actually, my husband spotted it as I was leaving. He thought it looked kind of loom-like and asked me what it was. 🙂
I had tried weaving some Sami bands on the little Peacock loom, but it was only working so/so. I had to take off several pieces of the loom, and that didn’t seem quite right. I never considered getting a regular-sized inkle loom, however, because I did have a mini one that was really cute and I never used it. I gifted it to someone and figured that was the end of my band weaving. But never say never!
I have to admit, weaving on a decent-sized inkle loom is great. I knew how to tie the heddles and warp it already, and so I picked a very simple pattern from the Helene Bress book that came with it, and away I went, weaving a ladder band. For anyone who is interested, Jane Patrick has a great how-to video on warping and weaving an inkle loom that can teach the basics.
(The inkle loom is not very big, but it looks huge next to the tiny Louet in the next picture. I’m warping the Louet for a rep weave project.)
I took a few weeks off, but now I'm back at it, finishing the scarf. However, I'm still unhappy with the selvedges. So, I think I figured out why… the pattern is still wonky on the right side as it encompasses the center area of the diamond, where the dark ends or the spiral begins, causing the darks to jump out too much. Also, this yarn is too thick to comfortably loop black over white. The entire thing needs more balance. So, instead of a husband scarf, this may end being a bag for a flute. That way, it will be stitched up the sides.