From a blog called The Urge to Preserve comes a neat way to piece together a jacket made out of woven triangles.
I never did post the final picture of this 7' triloom shawl I finished back in November, so here it is now. It was woven using the continuous bias method, which creates a soft looking, pretty weave. The yarn was Manos Maxima, and I over-purchased the amount because I couldn't do the math right on the spot while standing in the store. That's why I had enough for the simple gray scarf I just finished, and another skein for a future project. So let that be a lesson to you: if you make a mistake with your weaving calculations, try to over do it, especially if the yarn is Manos Maxima. 😉
I had some trouble finishing the shawl. The yarn was so soft and light that it didn't felt evenly, and I had to try twice–the first time hand washing with warm water and the second with hot–before I was content with the look and feel.
It was a little frightening watching the blanket get smaller and smaller, I'll admit. It started out at 56" or so and then shrunk after only four minutes in the washing machine. Okay, I set it on hot but when I checked the water, it was lukewarm at best.
So, I took it out and rinsed it in cold, then smooshed the excess water out and put it in a dryer for a light dry. Six minutes later I called it done. The weave had filled in completely. It measured 36". So, talk about shrinking.
If I had used two strands of yarn instead of one, there wouldn't have been so much space in this weave, and I probably would have lost only about 10" instead of 20". But, it makes a very nice wool lap blanket, the kind to sit on the couch with or put on the foot of a bed for a little added warmth. It was really satisfying to make something bigger than a shawl or a scarf.
I've been working on this for a month, and today is an auspicious day. Yes, it's the solstice, but it's also the day I finish my triloom blanket! Here is the second tri on the loom, just after finishing the weaving. I used up most of my 2 ply worsted weight wool from a second hand store. I had woven my first triloom shawl with some of it, and I'll miss it when it's gone.
It doesn't look like much at this point, I admit.
Two 7' triangles, crocheted rather heavily together. It measures about 57" on each end. There are gaps, areas woven too tightly, untrimmed yarn, etc. What I'm hoping for is the miracle of a washing machine fulling, where everything fills in, pulls together, and looks right. It would be the solstice miracle!
This is my favorite day of the year, and today is a beautiful day: clear and bright and sunny and cold. Our "blizzard" only dropped about 5" of snow, but I was home yesterday because work was closed, and it gave me just enough time to finish the weaving. So, keep your fingers crossed!