Finished: the 7.5" x 16" table runner, woven with two heddles. Just big enough for a super small table or a mat underneath a lamp and telephone (which is where this one is living for now). I was thrilled to use two heddles and can't wait for the next project. This one involved embroidery thread and I used the Diamonds pattern from The Weaver's Idea Book. Very fun indeed. I don't even mind the bumpy edges (strange, I've read about this thing called a floating selvedge and yet never thought it would be something I need someday…).
Also finished: the shawl, poncho, throw-type weaving. It measures 17.5" x 60". I should have been about 6" longer, but I ran out of the Caron Simply Soft and was too impatient to buy some more. It's plenty long, however, and after knotting the fringes and trimming them to about 4", I called it done. It's now flung over the top of a chair. The pattern gives it a rustic look and I'm pleased with it.
The cat picture has a story. She suddenly flung herself onto the throw and skidded to the edge of the table. I snapped the picture just as she turned, shot across to the other side, jumped into her little basket, and skidded over the other edge where she landed on the ground. We think she was embarrassed.
After finishing a small sample with my new 19″ Glimakra Emilia, I warped the entire width using Berroco Vintage. I used the direct warping method and the warping peg. Stretching from the back of my loom to the opposite side of my workspace gave me a 91″ warp–probably a little short for a shawl but an okay length for the likes of me. When I want a longer warp, I’ll have to move my loom into the dining room.
I used blues and browns, maybe finding some inspiration in the robin’s nest outside our door. Or maybe because I like blues and browns. (Pretty much everything I make is either blue or brown!)
The warping took about an hour and used up about 500 yards of yarn. I was a little worried, having only about 200 yards of blue left, and with good reason. By the time I ended the weaving, I only had about one yard of blue remaining. That’s cutting it close! Here’s a little video of the shawl coming off the loom:
I’m pleased with my first effort. My selvedges are okay for a first project, I think. I was going for a balanced weave, but when I measured a square inch here and there, I always came out with 10 warp strands to about 7 or 8 weft, so the shawl is a little heavier than I planned. I now know if I want a lighter shawl, I’ll need to use a little bit thinner yarn. It does drape nicely, though, and it’s warm.
Now, I need to think about finishing. I braided one side, but I don’t like it much, so I’m considering unbraiding them and just cutting it to about a 3″ fringe. I also want to hand wash it and press it to see what it looks like all finished. The beginning of a piece (warping, sleying, etc.) and the ending (braiding, washing, pressing) take as long as the weaving!
My first "real" project from my 24" Hideaway Homestead triangle loom is this shawl. I wove nine individual triangles and then joined them together to create a shawl that is roughly 5.5' across. I used my Berocco Colors (herb garden) and came close to using both of my two skeins.
At first, the joining of all those edges made me a little uneasy. I'm a novice crocheter, but I found that simply looping one side to the other was easy. The only area I messed up was the junctions of three triangles; those sections got a little bunchy.
Once I finished joining all the tris, I used a tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I then had to decide how I wanted to finish the edges, and decided that easy was best. I did a single crochet around the entire edge, but worked in a strand of yarn to give it a little more definition.
I've never blocked anything yet that I've made, so I was a little nervous to wash this and block it. Thankfully, it was easy, and it gave the shawl a nice, clean look. I washed it in the bathtub with a tablespoon of Ecover wash for delicates, and then I rolled it in a towel to get most of the moisture out of it. I then put a blanket and towel down on my bed and pinned it into place. It dried very quickly, within a few hours, and now I own a pretty shawl.
Coming soon: pictures of the finished shawl!