I've been making a list of the online sites I visit. If you have a set of KKs, you've probably been to the Provo site to see the instructions and patterns, but have you visited one of these? I'll add to this list from time to time, and I plan on posting a list of sites with free patterns someday soon:
Very Helpful Yahoo Groups
Cool Websites about Looming
Blogs (loom & needle)
I did manage to finish the slippers for my dad. (I may add a pic later but it will be yet another picture of brown slippers!) It only took 3 hours total, so I'm getting faster even if I'm not getting much better. I turned the heels and toes very quickly this time and I didn't even swear. I HOPE these ones fit and one doesn't start to grow like the other set I made. 😉
I ended up doing this: 1) knitted ten rows and brought up the first row to make a cuff and knitted off. 2) turned the heel. I used the flat stitch because I wanted the slipper to be a little more snug than the others I've made. However, it made it look a bit shrunken. 3) knitted 24 rows with the knit stitch. 4) turned the heel using the flat stitch.
Overall, they'll work. I just need to find a way to put some type of stitcky thingies on the bottom so they aren't so slippery. I don't know how to do this. I wonder if there's a fabric glue that would work. I'll have to look around tonight.
I also tried a hair scrunchie for the first time, but it's a bit skimpy so I'll do another tonight. I used the blue loom, knitted six rows (using two strands) with this angora-type yarn. I think I should have used one strand and knitted about ten rows, because this is too bulky. I put a hair elastic inside the loom and brought up the bottom row, just as you would if you're making a hat brim. This was a little tricky because you need to stretch the hair elastic to make it work. Now, here's where I made another mistake. When I cast off, I pulled the final strand of yarn too tight so I can't really stretch the scrunchie over my hair easily. (Since then, I've discovered this pattern, and this one, and this bind off method, appropriately called the Super Stretchy Bind Off Method. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.) This project only took a few minutes, though, and I can see how it would be fun to make as a gift.
Other projects I'd like to try soon: mittens, shrug or vest, rug (I read how a woman looms rugs out of hay bale twine and I'd like to try that), new slippers for me with a ribbed leg… I'm sure there are a few others I've forgotten!
Just my two cents, but the reason why I started with the KK looms is that I didn't really want to crochet and I didn't really want to knit, yet I wanted to work with yarn. I studied those butterfly-type looms and they didn't appeal to me, and then I noticed the Knifty Knitters. Even though they're plastic and bulky, I could immediately see the possibilities of using them. I've read other blogs where folks get a little bit rude when it comes to knitting looms saying it's not TRUE knitting and it's cheating. (Don't believe people care enough to write such things? Just read the comments on this blog or some of these Google results.)
From what I've garnered from my surfing, knitting looms have been around for several hundred years. I like working with the looms. I like the circles, the heft of the loom, and the pegs. I like the hook. And my yarn-loving cat likes that I like all this stuff. I dream about buying different types of looms someday (especially some of the ones here).
There are large gauge looms (like the KKs) that give you the bigger stitches, and then regular, and then fine. As with most things in life, you can be as simple or as complex as you desire.
With a loom you can knit pretty much anything as long as you have the right tools and creativity (or a real good pattern). This morning, I asked B if he wanted me to knit him anything, and he looked at our broken washing machine and asked for a new one. Well, there are limits, you know!
I finished the meant-for-my-dad-but-now-are-my-husband's slippers this morning. I like this method of making the toe. I started the toe and, just like the heel, turned it but used the flat stitch this time. I then gathered the loops with a darning needle off the loom using a flat removal method (you zig zag across the loom). It's fun to pull the toe closed and see it all come together.
These were DEFINITELY about 1.5" too long for my dad, so it's back to the blue loom to make another pair. I had used 28 rows for the foot for these ones, and I think I'll make do with 20 this time. I've estimated that (with this yarn) there are four rows per inch. Wish me luck!
Here are the slippers, finished. One looks a little bit bigger. It really is the mysterious expanding slipper. I counted the rows about a million times, so I know they're the same size, and yet… and yet… One is HUGE! Now here's the really odd part–they fit B! I mean both of them, and last time I checked he didn't have different sized feet. Something strange is definitely going on.
So (deeeep breath), tomorrow morning I'm going to start yet another pair of brown slippers, hopefully size 10.5. Ho hum…