I'm not yet certain what this will be once it's off the loom. The easiest decision is a shawl. Knot those fringes and viola! It would be more difficult to turn it into a poncho or ruana, but that's what I've been wanting to try. The warp was 19" x 100", and it's shrinking down to 18" on the loom. We'll see how the length ends up, and that may decide it right there. I'm using the 8 dent heddle and some inexpensive yarn I had lying around (Caron Simply Soft in Heather Gray). I added some visual interest with the two stripes of maroon wool, and then decided to do a pickup stick pattern throughout. So far, I think it's pretty, and even the gray is turning out to be a nice choice.
For some reason, my husband and I have decided to celebrate Christmas early. (Could all the Christmas decorations going up in stores in October be having an effect??!! Heavens!) His present was purchased a few weeks back, and then it was my turn, but it took awhile to figure out what I wanted, which is strange, because normally I know exactly what I want, loom-wise.
I ended up purchasing an adorable mini inkle loom. It's so cute you'll probably not be able to stand it. Really! I also decided to outfit my beloved Emilia loom with some much-needed upgrades. I figured why should I daydream about a floor loom or a tabletop loom, when I spend nearly every free moment with Emilia? So, this week, I'll be getting a loom stand, a second heddle kit, an a second 10 dent heddle. I'll be ready for fancy patterns and gauzy fabrics, with the stand being an extra bonus. Look for pictures and details later this week.
Do you know what I should have added to that order? Pickup sticks! Take a look at what I'm using in that picture above… two paint stirrer thingies scotch-taped together. Well, it works, but really!
I was convinced I could weave an inkle-type band on my Glimakra Emilia. I studied several pictures of inkle looms, and even though they aren't expensive, I still wanted to try this on my loom. So, I dug up two curtain rods, putting one in the highest heddle notch and the other underneath the bottom of the loom. If I do this again, I would spend some time searching for a better dowel or metal skewer to hold the string heddles.
I then cut and tied the string heddles, warped a very short and simple red and white warp, and started to weave. Even though I thought this would work, I didn't actually think it would work so well. The Emilia has a nice slant that made getting a wide shed easy.
After just 30 minutes of weaving, I had a slightly clunky but nicer-than-I-expected band. Next: dog leash??
I had a crazy idea to weave a band, and I considered trying my backstrap loom, but then started thinking about weaving it on my Glimakra Emilia. I used my 10 dent heddle, some worsted weight yarn, and an inkle shuttle. There were some good instructions on doing just this in both great rigid heddle books, one by Betty Linn Davenport, and one by Jane Patrick. However, both warned not to expect perfect results, primarily because the heddle spreads out the yarn too wide, and most RH looms don't like a lot of tension.
My loom has the benefit of being extremely sturdy and I really cranked up the tension in order to draw the spread out yarn down into one narrow band. I made certain to warp light colors in the slots so I could try a simple pattern. The heddle was used only to raise and lower the warp, and the inkle shuttle was used to beat the weft.
This was super fun; however, my thick-yarned band looked a little nicer on the loom than off. Whenever I wove the pattern, the edges pushed in a little. So, it's a touch wavy, but I love the rich colors. Next time I'll definitely use a finer, smoother yarn and warp a slightly wider area. (There's always a next time!)