One of my Christmas presents was a 12″ square loom from U Weave Looms. The pins are arranged so it’s like a Weave-It loom–only it’s giant! I wove two squares and stitched them together to make a tube and then gathered the top. It’s a hat!
In the past, I knitted a hat with the large gauge yellow Knifty Knitter loom, but it turned out too big. The yarn was an acrylic mix that didn't have much stretch, and so the hat was droopy. However, I feel the green loom is a little too small, so I tried the yellow loom again, this time using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick. I decided to make a very long brim so I could fold it up. I did a K2, P2 brim, but because the yellow loom has an uneven number of pegs, I had to do a K3 on the final three pegs to keep the ribbing even. I knit about 4" (or 20 rows) for a brim, and then switched to the regular e-wrap stitch.
On the Yahoo Knifty Knitter group, I had read about finishing off a hat without doing the typical gather and I wanted to try it, so when I got near the top, I divided the loom into four sections with stitch markers (10 pegs, 10 pegs, 10 pegs, and 11 pegs), and decreased one peg as I knitted back and forth. For example, I knitted Peg 1 through Peg 10. On the way back I decreased one loop, and then knitted Peg 9 through Peg 1. Then I decreased another loop and knitted Peg 2 through Peg 9. When I got down to the final peg, I wrapped it with the working yarn, cut the yarn to about 12", and knitted the peg off, pulling the yarn through the final loop. Decreasing in this manner creates a triangle. I then did the final three sections (on the fourth section, I decreased two pegs on the first row because it has 11 pegs, not 10 like the others.) I turned the hat inside out and stitched the triangles together on the seams using the mattress stitch.
I really like my new hat. It's warm, fits just right, and looks great on a pumpkin.
I finished this hat a few weeks ago–on election night, in fact. Since this was my first finished Weave-it (Weavette, Wonder Weave) pattern, I'm going to cut myself some slack. Also, I was listening to election results while I sewed it up, so that may help explain why I misjudged the need to stitch the rim of the hat correctly. I was so excited about the election! Plus, stitching all those little squares together is very tiring. As a result, the rim/hem of this hat isn't matched up very well. It's a little bit crooked. Nonetheless, this is a very cool retro hat. It looks good on people who wear cool, retro hairstyles, like a Louise Brooks bob.
It doesn't look very good on me, but that's beside the point. Who cares! I made my first real Weave-it pattern!
These thirteen squares practically flew off my Wonder Weave loom. Good thing I had cats around to point out when I almost missed a row…
..and it's a real good thing the cats were there to keep the squares on the table. Those little squares have a way of flying off the table at the oddest times. But not with these cats on duty.
It always bothered me that the hat